Friday, October 21, 2011

Same River Twice

I thought it was very interesting how the wife was described on page 148 when the narrator stated, "the woman I married has been replaced by an incubator with powers of speech and thought."
I liked the section of the book talking about the baby name. Like many people today, there was pressure from both sides of the family on what to name the baby. One father who had given the same name to Chris' brother wanted Chris' son to be given that name while Rita's family wanted her to name the child after her brother who was killed in World War II.  Because the baby was a girl they ended up agreeing on a name. Chris stated, "after agreeing easily to a girl's name, Rebecca Marie, we fought over what to call a boy. I want a common name that is still uncommon, an older name, one of strength, such as Oak or Thor." Chris was very particular about what to name the baby but I think because it wasn't a debate over a boy name, Chris was a little more lenient. It was also interesting that he talked about the meanings of his and Rita's names, "Rita is a Sanskrit word, meaning "brave" or "honest." My name means "bearer of Christ," a troublesome burden."

Vocab
impugned-  verb. Dispute the truth, validity, or honesty of a statement or motive; challenge; call into question
gizzard shad- a fish of the herring family

No comments:

Post a Comment