Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chapter 1 Crying of lot 49

The novel starts out Oedipa receiving a letter saying that her ex boyfriends has left the will execution to her when he died. Because he left this to her, it makes me think that he was a big part of her life or maybe wanted her to continue to be part of her life after his death. Her reaction when she realized he had died and that she was the executor the book stated, "Oedipa stood in the living room, stared by the greenish dead eye of the TV tube, spoke the name of God, tried to feel as drunk as possible." I was a little confused about this reaction and whether she was reacting about his death or about the fact that she is the executor. The chapter goes into a little bit of detail about his personality and how he used to do celebrity voices. She describes the voices he used in a previous phone call as, "...slavic tones as second secretary at the Transylvania Consulate, looking for an escaped bat; modulated to comic-Negro, the on into Pachuco dialect,..." I think that this will have a significant meaning later in the book, the fact that he has many voices that he used when speaking to Oedipa. The receiving of the letter goes into detail about her and her husband, Mucho's, relationship. He used to be a car salesman which is probably where the "lot" in the title comes from. She says, "He believed to much in the lot, but not at all in the station," about her husbands jobs. Maybe she means he isn't happy or passionate anymore because he is no longer working "on the lot." It will be interesting to see what the significants of the lot will be. It seems like this change in him is causing a downfall in their relationship.  There are also some psych references like when the doctor calls for he to be in a drug study....may foreshadow later events or a past event. The doctor wants her to participate in the effects of LSD and other hallucinogens on housewives. The chapter kind of opened up many different possibilities for how the book will continue.

2 comments:

  1. I like the point that you made about her ex-boyfriend leaving Oedipa the will and how he may want to still be a part of her life. It's almost as if he doesn't want her to forget about him. I think it was cool you thought about the role that the 'multiple voices' will play later in the novel- I didn't think about that. I agree with you on the fact that the "lot" mentioned regarding the husband old job will come into play with the title of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you picked up on parts of the story that will probably have an impact later on; like the quote about the "lot," and about how the character used to do voices. I really like how you brought in the husbands job and made a comparison to the title of the whole book.

    ReplyDelete